5. How to apply for a California Driver License?
Information obtained from http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two500
International students are eligible to apply for a California driver license or a California State ID card from the Department of Motor Vehicles office (DMV). The California driver license and the State ID card are considered the official documents for routine identification purposes in California.
To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:
- Visit a DMV office (make an appointment for faster service)
- Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
- Give a thumb print
- Have your picture taken
- Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
- Verify your birth date and legal presence
- Provide your true full name
- Pay the application fee
- Pass a vision exam
- Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass
go to top