programs > Why you should study in California?
Why you should study in California?
Torrance campus only
In most States, the board of nursing requires applicants to pass the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) exam before taking NCLEX-RN exam. CGFNS is not required in California. This is one great benefit to taking the exam in California.
CGFNS Certificate Process
1. RN credential review
2. Five-hour qualifying multiple choice exam to test nursing knowledge
3. Test of English as a foreign language exam
At Rosemead, all the students who are here on an F-1 visa are required to take ESL classes every day. This helps students improve their English skills while they are studying for NCLEX-RN. Getting a high score on TOEFL or IELTS takes time. This is one important aspect of the nursing program at Rosemead, which allows you to study for the English proficiency test while studying for the RN exam saving time and money.
Steps for International RN Applicants
- Read detailed application instructions and download forms from the State Board website.
If you are enrolled in our NCLEX-RN program you will receive an application packet from the school at the NCELX orientation.
- Submit all the documents to the State Board. (application form with a photo, appropriate fees, fingerprints, a copy of your license or diploma etc.)
- Have your college transcripts sent directly to the California Board of Registered Nursing.
We will check all the documents before you or your school sends necessary documents to the State Board. (If your college has never submitted a transcript to the State Board for evaluation, the State Board may also need the college's curriculum, catalogs, or other documents for evaluation.)
- You will receive a letter from the State Board.
The processing time may vary, up to 6 months. If you get approval notice, you can apply for an ATT (Authorization to Test) number and make an appointment to take NCLEX exam.
- Take and pass the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX).
The exam is computerized and given continuously 6 days a week. You can take a test at local test center near you. ATT number is valid for one year.
- You will need to provide a U.S. Social Security number before a California license can be issued to you.
Although these steps may seem long and complicated, do not be discouraged. Experienced teacher and counselor will be available to support and help you every step of the way.
If you are planning to take the NCLEX-RN exam in CA, please bring the following documents
English transcripts from all the schools you have attended (transcripts must include hours of lectures and hospital practice in the following areas: medical, surgical, psychiatric, maternal-infant, pediatric and geriatric nursing.) Nursing license from your country (translated into English).